Monday, June 22, 2009

Garden design




In my last post, I recommended buying plants in sets of 2, 3, or 5. A garden design rule to keep in mind is that odd numbers are more pleasing and easier to work with.

If you buy two of a plant, you can add one different plant and this becomes a grouping of three. The different plant should be contrasting - different texture, height, etc.
In my front garden, I used 3 blue globe spruces. I combined them with three crimson pygmy barberries. That makes an even number. But two of the blue spruces are on one side of the path, joined by one barberry and the other blue spruce is on the other side of the path, joined by two barberries. I've circled the barberries on the photo so you can see where they are. Using the same types of shrubs on each side of the path gives the front gardens some continuity. They are very different gardens, but one flows into the other. The daylilies are also repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment